required field must not be blank.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reading..Jonathan Franzen "Freedom"

Gulped down "Corrections" which I left back in England unfortunately.  Then quickly "How To Be Alone" essay collection and now on to this one which fails to impress me so far.  I am taking it personally!  Jonathan, darling, please keep up with your own reputation.  Or maybe I should not have expected it would blow me away again.

For the first time in my life I failed to read Philip Roth's latest two novels.  Yessss!!!  I can do it!  He's become so redundant in topic and in approach!  I remember the pleasure with which I read "The Dying Animal" quite a few years ago.  I remember Harold Pinter in one of his last interviews.  When asked why he had not published anything lately, he replied that he has no intention of repeating himself.  Maybe I should send a link of that interview to Philip Roth although I doubt he will get the hint.  Sooooooo concerned with his dying sexuality, as only a man can be.

Anyhow, back to Jonathan Frannzen.  See if he manages to clinch the deal with "Freedom".  Judging by the first 50 pages, it should have been called "Coercion" (which would have matched "Corrections" much closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment